Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Miss Manhattan Hangs Out...For Two Years!

So we’re a little late on this, but here we are, at two years. It’s been a joy meeting and spending time with such wonderful humans. I’m excited to continue the project moving forward, but I’m not quite sure what shape it will take next. So much changes in a few months, a few years, and I think projects need to change, too, to morph into their next evolution. Maybe more stops around my beloved city, which I haven’t been exploring about and writing about as much as I would have liked. Maybe more visits with people who make this city, or their cities, great. And maybe more pets ;) I want to keep it going, but I want to breathe, too. I want to remember why I moved to New York as much as I want to document it. Often, for me, the two coincide. But sometimes just living in your adopted space, not working, just seeing, allows for you to reconnect with it and with yourself.

This past weekend, for the first time in a very long time, I was able to traverse the city for an entire day with my friend Andrew. Eggs and tea and French toast in Hell’s Kitchen; jaunts through Chelsea’s galleries and probably far too much time amongst the zines at Printed Matter; following first the pangs in our stomachs to dim sum in Nolita, then our brains to McNally Jackson in SoHo, then our stomachs again to Caffe Roma for Italian cheesecake and ricotta pastries and more tea. That was the life I wanted to have living here, the life I wanted to write about and share. I don’t want to lose sight of that, so perhaps I’ll incorporate it into my work here somehow along with my documentation of New York’s loveliest inhabitants, furry and not.

What would you like to see more of? What makes you excited to open this TinyLetter every week? Where should I go that I haven’t been? Who should I meet that I haven’t met? Living here almost nine years, there’s so much of New York I have yet to explore, so many people I don’t know. I want to keep seeing, keep experiencing. I welcome your suggestions.

Something I have learned over the years is that everyone is busy. Nobody has time for anything. But we make time for the things that are important to us, the people who are important to us. Bestowing on a person or a place the small slivers of time that we have is the greatest gift. I hope to continue sharing these slivers that have been offered to me with you, to pass on the joy that comes with being allowed into someone’s life or someplace’s existence even for a few hours. I appreciate your continued readership, and look forward to the next phase of this project. In the meantime, here are some previously unseen images from the last six months. I hope you enjoy.

All my love,
Miss M

Follow me on Instagram and Twitter.
Subscribe to Miss Manhattan Hangs Out.
















No comments:

Post a Comment