Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Miss Manhattan Hangs Out...with Miss Manhattan?

What’s a gal to do when she realizes at the last minute she has no Miss Manhattan Hangs Out subject? So I decided to do a hang with…myself. Because:

1) I’m constantly being asked what my day to day life is like as a freelancer.

2) I don’t participate in our culture of self-documentation and I wonder if it’s something I should attempt for the bare minimum of cultural relevancy.

3) I’d have a taste of my own medicine. What is it really like to be the subject of one of these things?

So about my day I went, camera in tow.

In the morning, rain drizzled as I made my way down Canal Street toward luxury vintage clothing store What Goes Around Comes Around to interview co-founder Seth Weisser. I had been there several times, and it’s like walking into a fashion museum: vintage concert t-shirts and denim, Playboys from the 1960s, vintage stetsons, handbags, scarves. I see a lush, white Helen Yarmak fox fur coat with black spots and after the interview politely ask to try it on. Publicist Rebecca Astorga is kind enough to take a couple photos of me wearing it. I try to master the nonchalant fashion blogger “I’m not looking at the camera because I’m too important” stare, but keep laughing. I walk back to the train in my own clothes, catching glimpses of myself along the way.

Home again, I change into a sweatshirt—incidentally, one made and given to me by last week’s subject, Nadia Pinder of StuyDYED. I’m preparing for my interview with drag queens Trixie Mattel and Katya Zamolodchikova in advance of their new show premiering on Viceland tonight at 10pm, The Trixie and Katya Show. I’ve written down a few notes, but I continue to organize my thoughts until it’s time to talk to them on the phone. They are so quick and clever I wonder if my brain will ever move that fast, and I love listening to them talk. The interview is live today on Billboard.

I continue to do a bit more work, having cucumber and hummus for lunch—I wish I could say I regularly ate like a supermodel, but this is really all I have in my fridge besides a half-eaten piece of cheesecake I will also eat, post-cucumber.

Soon I get dressed again and head to what I think is a networking event for young creatives but actually turns out to be a curated mindfulness experience? I stay, hoping to take something away from the broad creative spiritualist generalities passing through everyone’s lips, but I leave when my butt starts to hurt from sitting so long. I move to the Bryant Park Whole Foods, eating and staring out into the blue and white lights of the winter village set up in the park. I shiver into a cab and once home, crawl again into my StuyDYED sweatshirt, and call my mom. I’m going home for Thanksgiving on Friday and it’s not a moment too soon.

Follow me on Instagram and Twitter.
Like Miss Manhattan on Facebook.
Subscribe to Miss Manhattan Hangs Out.

















No comments:

Post a Comment